Sunday 20 February 2011

Reply from Simon Kirby M.P. to my 2nd email about #FREEGARY pls RT Thank you for your further correspondence regarding the case of Gary McKinnon. I understand that many people are deeply concerned about Mr McKinnon as he suffers from Aspergers Syndrome. C

Reply from Simon Kirby M.P. to my 2nd email about #FREEGARY pls RT

Thank you for your further correspondence regarding the case of Gary McKinnon. I understand that many people are deeply concerned about Mr McKinnon as he suffers from Aspergers Syndrome. Campaigners have claimed that his extradition would exacerbate his condition, leading to a serious deterioration of mental health.

The Prime Minister, David Cameron, raised the case of Gary McKinnon with the US President, Barack Obama last year and they discussed, amongst other things, the possibility of some of the sentence, if there is a prison sentence, being served in a British prison. Mr McKinnon’s mother, Janis Sharp, has said how proud she is that the coalition government has raised the matter directly with the President. David Cameron has pledged to ensure that matters are discussed further between the two governments. There are, however, many difficult issues that have to be worked through, though I am hopeful that an appropriate solution can be found.

I have been happy to contact the relevant Minister at the Home Office on your behalf. I have made them aware of your concerns and asked for their latest appraisal of the situation with regards to Mr McKinnon. I will of course contact you again when I have received a response to my letter.

#FREEGARY


2011-02-19 03:49:13